Don't put new packages through updates-testing

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Sat Jun 2 12:07:27 UTC 2007

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 17:10:35 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:

> >> Alteast then they can contribute towards testing.
> >
> > Users who would "leave" don't try out so-called test-updates anyway.
> >
> > An estimated big percentage of those few users, who do try out
> > test-updates, won't take the time to report a problem. There's too
> > much of a risk of hearing "know thing" or FIXED/RAWHIDE.
>
> We are assuming a lot here without any data to back up these
> assumptions. At any rate I don't think we are going to convince each
> other so I would leave the final decision to FESCo.

Data that back up these assumptions are found in historical evidence that
"updates testing" has not been a success so far. Both Core developers and
users have complained about it [*]. Developers about lack of feedback.
Users about broken released updates, which have come out of the testing
repo, and even about updates which have been published despite bug
reports.  With F7 comes an attempt at enforcing updates-testing for all of
us, in hope to increase the number of guinea pigs. And while we install
test updates which fix something, our precious users continue seeing
breakage.

[*]
You participate in so many public communication channels, you must
have seen such topics, too (yes, another assumption ;).