Don't put new packages through updates-testing

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jun 2 12:13:18 UTC 2007

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 17:10:35 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>> Users who would "leave" don't try out so-called test-updates anyway.
>>>
>>> An estimated big percentage of those few users, who do try out
>>> test-updates, won't take the time to report a problem. There's too
>>> much of a risk of hearing "know thing" or FIXED/RAWHIDE.
>> We are assuming a lot here without any data to back up these
>> assumptions. At any rate I don't think we are going to convince each
>> other so I would leave the final decision to FESCo.
>
> Data that back up these assumptions are found in historical evidence that
> "updates testing" has not been a success so far. Both Core developers and
> users have complained about it [*].

Developers have pushed updates inconsistently into updates-testing and
Fedora Extras didn't use the system at all so there wasn't much of a
incentive for me to request interested people to participate.  If there
is a good consistent document policy on updates-testing it is much
better for developers and end users regardless of what the policy
actually is.

> You participate in so many public communication channels, you must
> have seen such topics, too (yes, another assumption ;).

Yes. I have seen more complaints from users and much less from developers.

Rahul