The community has lost control... (Was: Re: Don't put new packages through updates-testing)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Jun 3 07:02:29 UTC 2007

On 02.06.2007 21:24, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>  [...]
> Another goal that I think we need is to work on integrating the Core and
> Extras Communities.

+1

>  When Fedora started, there was a commitment from
> within Red Hat that decision making would happen on public forums with
> community input.  Despite the problems outlined above, I think the past
> year has seen this commitment become much more solid than before (Board
> Meetings in IRC, discussions by the internal teams on the mailing lists,
> the merge allowing people from the Extras Community to make spins,
> Extras Community members on the releng team, etc.)

Agreed, but some other things got worse at the same time afaics.

>  However, we need to
> take the next step.  We've consolidated our decisio making under one
> hierarchy but we need to combine our communities as well.

+1

> It shouldn't
> matter that we have some people working at Red Hat, some for Dell, some
> for themselves, some for universities.... We need to find ways to start
> thinking of ourselves as one community.

Then we have to act like one -- e.g. it's a two way street and both
sides have to learn and work together. That was not always the case in
the past months. There were afaics rare people that worked in "heads
down mode to get foo done quickly" because they feared that going via
proper public discussions and Committees would have taken to much time.

>  And we need to start
> communicating with each other as members of a single team.

+1

CU
thl