Packaging Guideline for JNI Libs?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sun Jun 3 09:42:34 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 11:03:34AM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le dimanche 03 juin 2007 à 10:53 +0200, Patrice Dumas a écrit :
> > On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 06:03:30AM +0200, Stefan Held wrote:
> > > Hello guys.
> > >
> > > Is there a packaging guideline which describes where JNI native
> > > libraries for java libs should be installed to?
> > >
> > > Would a directory /usr/lib/jni be a bad idea or simply place that lib
> > > into /usr/lib?
> >
> > I think that no guideliens exist, there was some discussionon a fedora
> > java list, but I don't remember how it ended.
> >
> > My personal opinion (and I think that some FPC members would agree)
>
> And others wouldn't
> Arch-specific stuff → libdir. Read your FHS again

I am not saying that they shouldn't be below /usr/lib, but I think that
they shouldn't be right in /usr/lib. For example in /usr/lib/jni could
be right. I just have reread the FHS it indeed isn't completly certain
that it is right, since it says that

  "Applications may use a single subdirectory under /usr/lib. If an
  application uses a subdirectory, all architecture-dependent data
  exclusively used by the application must be placed within that
  subdirectory."

So if there is already a directory holding java related architecture
dependent files, it should be used instead. Seems like there are already
some directories for java in /usr/lib, I don't know exactly what is
their use. They are owned by jpackage-utils and are:

/usr/lib/java        /usr/lib/java-1.4.1  /usr/lib/java-1.6.0
/usr/lib/java-1.3.1  /usr/lib/java-1.4.2  /usr/lib/java-ext
/usr/lib/java-1.4.0  /usr/lib/java-1.5.0

Maybe one of these directory is searched for for jni libraries. In that
case I think it should be used instead of /usr/lib.

--
Pat