The community has lost control... (Was: Re: Don't put new packages through updates-testing)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sun Jun 3 14:33:53 UTC 2007

On Sunday 03 June 2007 10:28:40 Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> As I already said, communication is the #1 basis for community-projects
> and you can't avoid communicating and discussing decisions.
>
> This might be inconvenient to @RH's working door-to-door, but you should
> be aware that most non-RH's door is several 1000miles away from yours,
> and that you and your @RH collegues probably communicate a lot of
> details in the "corridor/hallways/staircase" while "passing by".
>
> So yes, it will mean overhead, and it will be inconvenient, but such
> communication is inevitable.
>
> maintainers@ to me seems to be the ideal candidate wrt. communicating
> and discussion "workflow details" because it's subscribers are the
> audience being directly affected.

And that's where much of this has been discussed.  The arguments I was talking
about was that it was "too much noise" for the "casual packager" to keep up
with.  Most the things you're complaining about have been discussed either on
maintianer's list or on public IRC channels.  The Red Hat employees that were
involved (as there were non RH employees involved too) work either in
different offices or at home anyway, so in the hall conversations were
impossible.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora