The community has lost control... (Was: Re: Don't put new packages through updates-testing)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Jun 4 04:40:14 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 13:21 -0400, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > A low-traffic fedora-maintainers-announce was requested multiple times
> > > as some contributors mentioned that fedora-maintainers is to noisy for
> > > them.
> > One way traffic is inappropriate for a community project.
>
> Wrong... in any biggish community there are people who are very into it,
> and others more peripherally interested.
Well, IMO, maintainers are supposed to be more than peripherally
interested and supposed to be interested in changes/decisions on the
workflow sooner or later directly affecting them.

At least to me, ATM, Fedora is facing the problem of "some anonymous
dark circles" drawing "lonesome" decisions and pushing
semi-cooked/immature infrastructural tools, apparently without having
"wasted much brains" on the consequences their deeds might have.

> > > Like it or not, but for some people fedora-maintainers has to much
> > > traffic;
>
> > Then they better should not be maintainers!
>
> Right. But there are other people interested in maintainance.
Yes, we don't need everybody, esp. not "drive-by package bombs" (Which
occasionally had been a problem in FE) and don't need "half-hearted
maintainers" who only package something because "it's their unloved
duty" (which occasionally seems to be a problem with @RH-maintained
packages).

Ralf