Unwanted RPM dependencies

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 08:26:31 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 03:37 -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> We could get rid of a few packages on the OLPC in a cleaner
> way if we could loosen dependencies a little.
>
> Some random things I noticed:
>
>  - cracklib has a hard dependency on pam.  Is there a way
>    we could make it optional?
You mean the other way around - pam has a hard dependency on cracklib.
The dependency could be removed but cracklib would be brought in anyway
- throug the automatic dependency on libcrack.so. This library (and
cracklib-dicts) is required by pam_cracklib module and the only solution
would be to make pam_cracklib a subpackage of the main pam package.
--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb