Why isn't emacs installed by default

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 16:09:34 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot writes:

 > Le Lun 4 juin 2007 14:12, Andrew Haley a écrit :
 > > Nicolas Mailhot writes:
 > >  >
 > >  > Le Lun 4 juin 2007 13:28, Andrew Haley a écrit :
 > >
 > > From a user's point of view, the important thing is the extent to
 > > which using the current desktop font infrastructure, using one of the
 > > main GUI desktop toolkits, etc. would enhance emacs.
 >
 > I won't enter in this argument.

Well, it's the only argument that is at all persuasive from the point
of view of an upstream maintainer.  "Use this cool stuff and emacs
will be better, because ..." is a hell of a lot more persuasive than
"Use this cool stuff or we'll kill emacs."

 > A lot of code was written for other apps and their
 > users/maintainers seem to think it's useful for something (and a
 > lot of those people were emacs users till they gave up on it)

I've never before heard of anyone giving up emacs, but I'll take your
word for it that such people exist.

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903