Unwanted RPM dependencies

Stefan Held obi at unixkiste.org
Mon Jun 4 18:52:52 UTC 2007

Am Dienstag, den 05.06.2007, 00:04 +0530 schrieb Rahul Sundaram:

> Read the spec completely. It doesn't use grub.

Did you read it?

If i read the spec something like that comes to my mind:

Patch Grub to shut up until somebody presses a key!

Or:

What? Who needs more than one Operating System? Please dont show we have
more than one installed, we shall rule them all. The User could fear it.

(How many guys do you think will press a key to see what is happening?)

Patch all the other fancy stuff, fill the initrd with fancy graphics and
bootoptions. Seriously. Ram is cheap nowadays. Which leads me to the
question:

What happens if there is no drm gfx or not enough ram to do this fancy
stunt? Do we have to patch mkinitrd to detect the possibilities of the
hardware? Will there be a --please-no-boot-gui switch to disable all
this?

Will we have a grub.conf option which reverts it to normal behavior?

> Rahul

Don't get me wrong.

I Love the Idea of having a machine which boots like the hell, looks
fancy but please, do it right.

I don't love the idea to have a computer which boots fast and then tells
me later via GTK Window: One Service could not be started. Please look
into the System log to get a clue what has gone wrong.

I've had such a Operating System before.
Is this REALLY the right way to go?

Stefan

--

 Stefan Held                    VI has only 2 Modes:
 obi unixkiste org              The first one is for beeping all the time,