Why isn't emacs installed by default

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Tue Jun 5 00:41:28 UTC 2007

On Jun  4, 2007, "Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mugshot does include Emacs in its application stats as a text editor.

Heresy! :-)   Emacs is not a text editor.  It just plays one on TV.

Seriously, there are people who us it as a text editor only, but
that's like saying that a computer is just a typewriter.

Personally, I just use it as an IDE, a programmable calculator, an
e-mail reader and for some limited web browsing, but I know some
people use it for IRC and many other needs as well.

Try that with gedit, vim, kate, jed or even eclipse ;-)

Ok, eclipse is programmable and extensible too, so that one might
stand a chance ;-)

As for the others, they are indeed just text editors.

Sorry, it just makes me sad when people compare Emacs with text
editors.