First impressions of a system update with yum

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue Jun 5 08:25:53 UTC 2007

Richard Hughes wrote :

> On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 10:52 +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> > I just need to get S3 working again, as I wanted to start fresh and
> > removed all the kernel boot options I had in case they weren't useful
> > anymore...
>
> If you are talking about s3 (suspend), see
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/

That page was incredibly helpful. I actually understood what all those
different "quirks" did! :-)

For my Dell "Latitude X1", which is not yet in the F7 HAL files, I had
to enable the --quirk-vbe-post quirk, as otherwise the screen never
turned on.

With FC6 I was using the i810 Xorg driver, with 855resolution to be
able to get the native 1280x768 resolution, I had to hack my way
through the ACPI scripts to get S3 working (tg3 was causing trouble at
some point), and the LCD backlight never turned on properly on resume,
I had to always press Fn+Up to increase the brightness for it to light
up completely again.

With F7, I switched to the "intel" modesetting driver (also removed
855resolution), added the "power_management.quirk.vbe_post" key to true
in a string="Latitude X1" section of the Dell HAL file, and it all just
works now! Awesome! :-)

I had a last question, though : The Dell models seem to be identified
with system.hardware.product contains="Foo". This seems like a pretty
bad idea, since it would be contains="X1" in this case, and will/would
match a future Dell "Latitude X10" laptop... It would seem wiser to use
string="Latitude X1", even though it would be partly redundant with the
earlier prefix="Latitude". Or maybe there is a suffix="Bar"?

Matthias

PS: Congratulations on your diploma, Richard ;-)

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) - Linux kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
Load : 0.50 0.32 0.29