Feature idea: package an installer image as a grub entry before F8.

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Tue Jun 5 19:42:10 UTC 2007

Will Woods wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 11:40 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 05 June 2007 11:32:30 Will Woods wrote:
>>
>>> 1. download new repo info
>>> 2. download all new packages
>>> 0. boot into installer
>>> 3. upgrade all new packages
>>> 4. reboot into new system
>>>
>>> So now we spend a minimal amount of time in the installer, *and* the
>>> upgrade is fully automatic, *and* we're still doing upgrades The Right
>>> Way.
>>>
>>> Does this sound like a reasonable plan of attack?
>>>
>> Oft times you need the new yum / rpm to appropriately depsolve what is needed
>> for "all the new packages" or maybe even to process the repo info at some
>> point.
>>

> Good point. That's something we'll need to remember if we go forward
> with this. Luckily yum/rpm/etc. can be fetched and used without needing
> to boot into the installer environment.

I guess the main issue is to spend as little time as possible inside the
installer (to minimize downtime), so if a sizeable portion of the needed
rpms can be prefetched before the boot into the installer, we have
(probably) still saved quite a lot of time.   It will be better than the
current situation even if we still need to rerun the depsolving, and
maybe download some more packages after the installation has started.

I'd still like to have an option to have a break before "0", so I can
start the process on a remote machine, and then let it do all the
downloading, and just be on site for the actual install (0, 3, 4).

Rgds.

--