Feature idea: package an installer image as a grub entry before F8.

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jun 5 20:38:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 15:04 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 14:30 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > At that point you're upgrading a sizable portion of your distro before
> > you actually start the updater.
>
> What if the upgrader tool was actually a self-contained very small
> Fedora image with glibc, python, yum, etc.?  Then the upgrader could
> chroot into it.

Funny, you just described the installer second stage :-)

> Alternatively, couldn't yum and sublibraries just be rebuilt against the
> earlier Fedora?  If you disallowed the yum stack from using new python
> features that should work.

While we're at it, can we disallow GUI apps from using new GTK
features? ;-)  More seriously, adding restrictions like this doesn't
really help us to improve things for our userbase because we either end
up having to reimplement things that appear for the language or do weird
hoop-jumping.

Jeremy