ALC861 codec and volume control

Andy Shevchenko andy at smile.org.ua
Wed Jun 6 06:21:41 UTC 2007

Hi!

Just an idea.

I'm working with one laptop (RoverBook Voyager V200) based on Uniwill's
motherboard. This laptop has ALC861 codec inside.
I've downloaded the datasheet for the codec and discovered the codec hasn't
hardware volume control (only mute/unmute!).
But the Fedora Core distribution does not install any software volume
controls (I'm not trying F-7 and above).

The solution is to add attached here file as ~/.asoundrc (or to similar system's
file). And initialization stuff to file like rc.local:
	# Mute 'Front' control temporary
	amixer set "Front" 10% mute

	# Initialize new control
	aplay -D default -t wav /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
	aplay -D default -t wav /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Right.wav

Do anaconda make this job for us?

--
With best regards,
Andy Shevchenko.      mailto: andy at smile.org.ua