fedora for ARM

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Jun 6 12:22:17 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 12:04 +0100, Andy Green wrote:
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>>> If host and target object format differ, rpmbuild bombs out.
>> I have never experienced that, so I guess it must be okay for all the
>> packages I addressed, at least.  And that includes some big stuff like
>> db4, postfix, asterisk, gdb, linux itself...
> As soon as you have several different object formats at the same time
> inside of than rpm, rpmbuild fails, no matter how you override.

This is a highly unusual situation though... but I accept what you're
saying about that for the toolchains.

>>> Not unlikely, but you should check your buildlogs for error/warning
>>> messages and your resulting rpms for correctness.
>> My scripts will stop dead if rpmbuild chokes so I am pretty sure none of
>> my packages so far fell into this unusual category of building and
>> packaging apps compiled for both host and target.
> Well, all packages you mention above are "host only" (==target in rpms'
> nomenclature) packages. You manage to get this working by overriding all
> tools being used to "build->host cross-tools".
>
> Things get really ugly, when building native cross-tools (such as the
> avr* tools) and when cross-rpmbuilding cross-tools (e.g.
> rpmbuild --target=<non-native-distro> avr-gcc).
>
> In these cases you'll have different object formats inside of one rpm at
> the same time.

Can't there be a simple answer to this?  Set %__strip to a script that
first assesses the ELF arch using objdump and then calls through to the
appropriate strip?

I see that i386 Fedora objdump says that the arm executables are of
"unknown" arch, but my arm-linux-objdump recognizes them as "arm".  It
would be a bit clunky but the basic idea of redirecting to the correct
strip based on the ELF arch will sort it out if I understood it.

-Andy