fedora for ARM

Lennert Buytenhek buytenh at wantstofly.org
Thu Jun 7 11:23:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 03:47:44PM -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:

> > 1. What is the target system(s) you're using? I for one have a
> >    very vague understanding of what lab boards etc may be used
> >    for running ARM Fedora.
>
> This was my question too. I attended a talk by Deepak Saxena a month
> ago and it looked like there's no clear leader anymore, like Netwinder
> used to be. What are these RPMs for? OpenMoko? Palm?

The *.armv5tel.rpm RPMs in the repo were built with -march=armv5te,
and so they will run on any CPU compliant to at least the ARMv5TE level.
This includes every XScale CPU ever made (i.e.  PXA25x/PXA27x/PXA3xx/
IXP4xx/IXP2xxx/IOP3xx), the TI omap, and most currently shipping ARM CPUs.

The armv5te packages won't run on ARMv4 systems such as the Netwinder,
but there's no real reason why you wouldn't be able to build an armv4t
package set.  I don't think there would be a lot of demand for that,
though.

> Are these systems even binary compatible in the user mode?

Yep, the various ARM architecture generations are upwards
compatible in user mode.