Future SCM Technology

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Jun 7 19:01:12 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 02:43:47PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thursday 07 June 2007 14:41:41 Axel Thimm wrote:
> > >
> > > Could we better frame this as "I wish our SCM would allow for renaming
> > > and/or copying source controlled files to new names, while preserving the
> > > recorded history of the file within the SCM." ?  (I just don't want to
> > > see a lot of requests be tied to a particular SCM or another, just pure
> > > features.
> >
> > FWIW one could rephrase it with "Every SCM, but CVS". This is a CVS
> > limitation that any willing successor has fixed, I don't think any of
> > the systems we're thinking about has this flaw.
>
> Well, hg cannot do this yet.  It has a function to copy a file, but all it
> really does is hg rm <oldfile>; hg add <newfile>.  yes, this is dumb.  :(

I think it is more like "copy, then remove", which is all you really
want as the history can be propagated back through the copy/rename
operation (-f option to any relevant hg command will do the trick).

What you're quoting is more the CVS variant of renaming, e.g. no
scm relation between the two operations at all.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net