RFR: GIT Package VCS

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Jun 8 11:34:03 UTC 2007

On Friday 08 June 2007 07:25:23 Josh Boyer wrote:
> So thinking in SCM terms, you'd need the 'checkout' to not pull down the
> exploded sources by default.  I'm not sure of an easy way to do that
> with git at the moment.  Maybe hg can already do stuff like that?

You're assuming that it's in the same "repo".  There is no reason that the
exploaded source couldn't be in another 'repo' in the module subdirectory.
In fact, when I did a dist-git/hg proof of concept, each "branch" we have
like FC-6/F-7 were independent repos that happened to be in the same
directory structure.  On used a simple shell tool to get
them, 'get-fedora-package <foo>' or something similar.  It would clone <foo>,
look for a BRANCHES file, parse it and clone the existing branches, +
common/.  One could go further and in the make file have 'make expload' or
some such that would clone the exploaded source repo that belongs to the
module.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora