f7 images for mass production

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Jun 8 17:02:41 UTC 2007

On Friday 08 June 2007 12:25:04 Max Spevack wrote:
> I wanted to throw a question out to devel-list and Will Woods.
>
> We're getting ready to mass-produce Fedora 7 LiveCDs and DVDs.
>
> I would like to know if the conventional wisdom is that we should use
> the GOLD images, or if it is worthwhile to use an updated image (either
> of the LiveCD or of the DVD), in order to pull in any of the updates
> that have already been published.

I hate questions like this (:  If we don't, we'll just see more bug reports
and badness from the bugs we have.  If we do, we'll get slammed for our
release being nothing but a Beta and /this/ one is the real release (although
I'm sure we'll find some bugs in this one too)

I think one part of the question can be answered by the distinct lack of an
updated F7 kernel as of yet, at least not released.  There is
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=8282 but I haven't seen
any update requests come through bodhi for it.  So it's not like we know that
this solves the issues you'd want to say are fixed with a respin.

Also, if we're going to respin, that's a lot more QA to toss in the mix to
make sure that our included fixes don't introduce regressions, and that the
compose processes itself was successful.  This is just more work, nothing
more, nothing less.  However we have limited time before Test1 is due, so
it's a balance we have to talk about.

My personal opinion is that we make use of updates.img to fix any serious
anaconda bugs we've found.  I don't recall any /serious/ ones though, we
snuck those in for the last rebuild.  Adding updates.img is a simple call to
mkisofs, it doesn't involve pungi, or anaconda-runtime, or anything else.
It's just adding a file and recalling mkisofs.  Anything more (like replacing
packages) is far more risky.  If possible, we could have an insert into the
DVD sleeve with a print out of the known issues so that we give users a
fighting chance of working around the known issues.  There are going to be
updates that people download after the fact, just given the sheer number of
updates already available, and I really don't think we have time to suck in
every existing update and give that a proper qa that a final release would
get.  There are already 200+ megs of i386 updates, 500+megs of
updates-testing.  That is a /lot/ of churn to try and stabilize again.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora