Reply-To header munging for fedora-devel-list@

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Jun 8 22:14:14 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote:

>> could we change the list configuration not to munge
>> the Reply-To header, so that when we "Reply All", we
>> actually don't loose the Cc list?
>
> Why do you lose the Cc list with reply *all*? At least my mutt
> doesn't, so perhaps its a MUA issue?

It's not lost in my MUA... it's just that the original
senders are not being moved to Cc by the list server
before replacing the Reply-To header with the list
address.

See?  I've selected reply-all, and got a replay to
the list only, not to you *and* the list as one would
expect by a function labeled "reply all".

>> The way it's configured now makes it very difficult to
>> notice own's replies in threads.
>
> Why? the From: field doesn't change, you're still the author of your
> reply.

e-mail clients use From: only when there's no "Reply-To"
The "Reply-To" header means: "instead of replying to my
from address, please reply to here".

> But some of these lists you mention are not subscriber only.

I also think lists should be open to posting by non-subscribers...
Otherwise cross-posting is painful and doesn't work as intended
(i.e.: you get half of the messages in each list).

The spam argument is easily dismissed once you notice that
linux-kernel@ is almost 100% spam free despite being open.
So it just takes some clever filtering to solve this problem.

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti
 \X/  http://www.codewiz.org/