Reply-To header munging for fedora-devel-list@

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Jun 9 07:02:26 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 06:14:14PM -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> See?  I've selected reply-all, and got a replay to the list only,
> not to you *and* the list as one would expect by a function labeled

On a subscriber-only list I consider that a feature. I hate getting
duplicate emails, especially ones that don't have a List-Id: header to
properly sort the mail (like the Cc'd mail wouldn't have).

In fact I already write a Reply-To: header myself on all lists to make
sure this doesn't happen.

> >>The way it's configured now makes it very difficult to notice
> >>own's replies in threads.
> >
> >Why? the From: field doesn't change, you're still the author of
> >your reply.
>
> e-mail clients use From: only when there's no "Reply-To" The
> "Reply-To" header means: "instead of replying to my from address,
> please reply to here".

But that doesn't make it difficult to recognize your own posts as you
wrote above, does it?

> >But some of these lists you mention are not subscriber only.
>
> I also think lists should be open to posting by non-subscribers...
> Otherwise cross-posting is painful and doesn't work as intended
> (i.e.: you get half of the messages in each list).

But cross-posting is discouraged anyway.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/8/8/146

> So it just takes some clever filtering to solve this problem.

OK, there are a couple of mailing lists on this very server that are
open to anyone just have a look at for example
video4linux-list at redhat.com to see the amount of spam.

But anyway fedora lists are not fire-and-forget. If you want to
participate you will have to subscribe, and since we know that
everyone is subscribed, we don't have to care about replying to
external participants.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net