f7 images for mass production

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Jun 9 07:14:22 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 12:25:04PM -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> I wanted to throw a question out to devel-list and Will Woods.
>
> We're getting ready to mass-produce Fedora 7 LiveCDs and DVDs.
>
> I would like to know if the conventional wisdom is that we should use
> the GOLD images, or if it is worthwhile to use an updated image (either
> of the LiveCD or of the DVD), in order to pull in any of the updates
> that have already been published.
>
> Thanks,
> Max

I've read the thread on pros and cons, and it tends to be not adding
updates.

Personally I'm in favour of adding them and there is an important
marketing issue no one really brought up: The core features of F7 were
the merger (which is not really visible to the end user) and the
respin capability.

Having created all tools for respinning and promoting their use, but
being "afraid to using them ourselves" can create a negative tagline.

I think every golden release will start with some more or less severe
set of bugs which will shortly after be squashed and the updated
release will be far more reliable than the golden one. People talk
about QA, but during maintenance mode (e.g. after a release) we have a
couple of million users that are forced to do QA anyway, so it's not
the same as QA'ing a rawhide cut.

Let me propose the following, not only for this specific release:
Since we have the tools (which we want to promote anyway) and since
every Fedora release had starter bugs that are more severe than
anything that creeps up during maintenance mode, let's always do an
official respin 3-4 weeks after a golden release. The need is there as
well (e.g. check with the fedora-unity guys, people want to have these
respins). And I'm sure there will be a lot of community testers (more
than during test4->GA) available if a respin is done.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net