The Future of Fedora Package Management and the RPM Philosophy

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sat Jun 9 19:15:28 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 07:33:35PM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> But the disttag is designed in such a way as to also work when there
> is no definition for it.

If I rebuild a src.rpm with release 1.fc6 I expect that the release of
the resulted binary rpm's is 1.fc6, not 1.

I don't know the exact rationale, but at least it has its drawbacks.
In an automated build system, it would maybe be better to automatically
insert a

	%define dist .fc6

(whatever is applicable for the target distro) at the beginning of the
spec file, so that the resulting src.rpm is not dependent on an
externally defined %dist.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>