The updates firehose

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Sat Jun 9 20:32:07 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 16:05 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:

> Seriously.  We're drowning our users in updates.  Are all of them
> really
> necessary?  I feel like we've got this culture of update
> whatever/whenever
> coming from Extras where it was just fire and forget.  While that
> might be
> fun for the maintainer, is it fun for the user?  Is it fun for the
> user with
> a slow connection?

Are people complaining?  Are we actually breaking stuff in the process?
Are you upset with the amount of bandwith we're eating or just based on
principal?

We're not RHEL.  If an update is a good one I would rather have it go
out than not.  Also encouraging a re-spin of the CDs/DVDs in a couple of
weeks might be a good idea ala unity.  Don't know how much human
bandwith we have for such a thing, though.

--Chris