The updates firehose

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Jun 9 22:01:07 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 04:05:00PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> Anybody else think we're issuing entirely /way/ too many updates?  We've had
> 138 "stable" updates, and 177 current "testing" updates.  If all those were
> to go stable, we're talking over 300 updates, in just over a week.

But is that different than at FC6 release time (I don't know, but I
assume it was similar if not even more)? We're not really doing
anything different that made updates increase, I would even think that
it is more difficult to pass updates since they have to be pushed
through bodhi.

You only feel like there are that many updates, because they are now
all using bodhi while before F7 only 1/4th (Core) would become visible
that way.

> Seriously.  We're drowning our users in updates.  Are all of them
> really necessary?  I feel like we've got this culture of update
> whatever/whenever coming from Extras where it was just fire and
> forget.  While that might be fun for the maintainer, is it fun for
> the user?  Is it fun for the user with a slow connection?

I think Fedora's success is partly due to being updated that way.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net