The updates firehose

Quentin Spencer qspencer at ieee.org
Sun Jun 10 00:28:58 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 6/9/07, Christopher Blizzard <blizzard at redhat.com> wrote:
>> We're not RHEL.  If an update is a good one I would rather have it go
>> out than not.
>
> As a maintainer, I'd appreciate some reasonable best practices to
> consider when pushing an update however. Guidance easily found to read
> over when interacting with bodhi.  If I've got a bug report for a
> missing dep at the packaging level for example, is it worth pushing?
> Are all patchable non-crasher non-security application bugs worth
> pushing as individual updates or is it better to sit on some of them,
> do a build in koji and let the original reporter eat the koji package
> if possible?

I agree with this. I also think the packager should take into account
the size of the package. It doesn't bother me too much if some 100K
package is updated every week, but it seemed to me like openoffice.org
was updated 5-10 times during FC-6. I've got a high bandwidth
connection, and it was still annoying enough to make me start looking at
changelogs before I updated.

Quentin