The updates firehose

Neil Thompson abraxis at telkomsa.net
Sun Jun 10 10:14:02 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 03:04:32PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> >On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 01:06:39 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >
> >>The many updates are really Fedora's strength,
> >
> >... and also one of its weaknesses, since the users don't like it at all
> >if an update breaks something.
>
> This is one thing I suspect is being lost in all the talk about trust
> and freedom. Maintainer's freedom doesn't mean much if there is a
> avalanche of updates where updates-testing time can be reduced or
> skipped any time and where every update increases the chances of
> breaking stuff
>
> Anyone wants to write a policy on updates?

And very shortly you're going to be asking for a policy to be written which
defines when the maintainers are going to be allowed to have bowel movements,
aren't you?

The strengths of Fedora are its leading (even bleeding, at times) edge software
and its maintainers.  I had hoped that the merge would lead to more freedom and
faster throughput for new software, but it looks as though we're on the verge
of a coup by anal, hide-bound, corporate control freaks. (<- hyperbole, but it
worries me)

Please folks - if you're going to build a community, make sure that you have only
the governance that is necessary and NO MORE!  Leave the maintainers (who have been
appointed to look after the packages) to do their jobs.  Address mistakes and issues
on a case-by-case basis and don't hamstring everyone with a bunch of pettifogging
rules.

--
Cheers! (Relax...have a homebrew)

Neil

THEOREM: VI is perfect.
PROOF: VI in roman numerals is 6.  The natural numbers < 6 which divide 6 are
1, 2, and 3. 1+2+3 = 6.  So 6 is a perfect number.  Therefore, VI is perfect.
QED
                                                    -- Arthur Tateishi