[Fwd: [Fedora Update] [comment] blobAndConquer-0.91-1.fc7]

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sun Jun 10 12:17:01 UTC 2007

On Sunday 10 June 2007 08:17:03 Hans de Goede wrote:
> Well I'm the most active member of the Games SIG and testing my own updates
> doesn't feel right (ofcourse I test them, but I shouldn't be the only
> tester).
>
> As for Keving, thats hardly a procedure one can count on for future
> updates.
>
> So I guess I'll just push the mark as stable button then.

I don't think we're ever going to be able to come up with a policy that will
work for every package / every update.  How one gets a package from -testing
to stable is really up to that person and/or group that the package resides
in.  This gives the maintainer and SIG the flexibility to define their own
policy, hopefully with some overall project level guidelines.  Overall
like "please use updates-testing first" and "please address bugs / comments
filed during -testing".

As for games, couldn't the games SIG come up with a strategy for making game
updates to a released platform?  One that is geared specifically for games
and makes use of the people in the SIG?

Sometimes you as the maintainer /are/ the best person to test things, and part
of that is verifying that A) it fell out of the buildsystem correctly, B) it
has the right information in the update ticket and the email content got
generated correctly, C) it upgrades cleanly from the previously shipped one
through the public repo.  If you've been able to verify all of this, and the
application itself tests out fine, I see no problem with marking your own
update as stable.  By being in updates-testing you've given others the
opportunity to verify this and more as well.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora