The updates firehose

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Sun Jun 10 12:46:55 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 19:56 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> I think that most of the updates we're seeing are:
>
> 1) New packages.  We're burning through the review queue but we still
>    have hundreds backlogged.  All of the packages that are built for
>    F-7 will generate an update announcement.
>
> 2) Updates to packages that, frankly, almost nobody has installed.
>    Yes, there are a ton of updates, but we have thousands upon
>    thousands of maintained packages.  Most users who run the regular
>    update tools simply won't see the vast majority of these updates.
>    (People who install everything, however, get what they
>    deserve/explicitly requested.)  It just looks like a massive amount
>    on the mailing list.

Not knowing the build environment or seeing the insides or being a
packages/maintainer, I would agree with Jason on both accounts above as
the reason for updates.

And #2 is especially dead on.  Yes your going to see lots more updates,
or at least the perception, but actually *look* at the updates and see
what they are.  More than 25%, if not 50%, are not even the *core*
packages, just addons.  Not everyone is updating to those, and I bet not
even 50% of the userbase is even using the addons part.  So I wouldn't
worry so much about how many updates.

And besides, I see it all the time, someone reports that "upstream
released a new version, 1.2.3-5", can you please put out an update.

Anyway, just my $.02 (not that it counts or anything hehe)

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best little town on Earth!"