The updates firehose - automatic local mirrors

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Jun 11 05:06:39 UTC 2007

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 04:41:12PM -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>> Christopher Blizzard wrote:
>>
>>> Are people complaining?
>>
>> I don't complain when it happens with my own computer that's
>> being updated daily... but it's painful when you update a
>> dozen of desktops in the office to F7 and all them want to
>> download 500MB worth of updates the first time they boot.
>>
>> Yes, I could use a local Fedora mirror.  And, in fact,
>> I do.  But then I'd have to customize the yum config on
>> all clients to go look there.
>
> You can add your local private mirror to mirrormanager, add a netblock
> that covers your address space, and all your clients will then pull
> from your local mirror rather than public mirrors, with no change on
> the clients.
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mirrormanager
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring

(My definition of 'local' = in the same country or region of
countries.  As shown in later messages, others want to create custom
repositories for organization's internal use, but that requires
different tools.)

Even better would be that only local mirrors would be shown
automatically.  Nowadays, countries with less than 3 mirrors don't get
this optimization.

This would require rather simple updates to the
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist script.