The updates firehose - automatic local mirrors

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon Jun 11 13:08:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 08:06:39AM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2007, Matt Domsch wrote:

> >>I don't complain when it happens with my own computer that's
> >>being updated daily... but it's painful when you update a
> >>dozen of desktops in the office to F7 and all them want to
> >>download 500MB worth of updates the first time they boot.
> >>
> >>Yes, I could use a local Fedora mirror.  And, in fact,
> >>I do.  But then I'd have to customize the yum config on
> >>all clients to go look there.
> >
> >You can add your local private mirror to mirrormanager, add a netblock
> >that covers your address space, and all your clients will then pull
> >from your local mirror rather than public mirrors, with no change on
> >the clients.
> >
> >https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mirrormanager
> >http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring
>
> (My definition of 'local' = in the same country or region of
> countries.  As shown in later messages, others want to create custom
> repositories for organization's internal use, but that requires
> different tools.)
>
> Even better would be that only local mirrors would be shown
> automatically.  Nowadays, countries with less than 3 mirrors don't get
> this optimization.
>
> This would require rather simple updates to the
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist script.

I really don't want to trust that the only mirror in a given country
is active and fully up-to-date, and send everyone from that country to
that single mirror.  The thresshold is 3 per country to provide some
reasonable guarantee that at least one of those 3 is active and
up-to-date at any given instance.

--
Matt Domsch
Software Architect