To Require yelp or not to require yelp

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jun 12 07:56:44 UTC 2007

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Bernardo Innocenti (bernie at codewiz.org) said:
>> So, online help is *clearly* an optional desktop feature.  People
>> using systems with limited disk space, like the OLPC users, will
>> want to remove it.
>
> So, then, every package should package *-help separately,
> and if you want to actually have online help, you need to become
> superuser and install it?  That's a horrible user experience.

I have not suggested packaging the help files separately.
It's easy to avoid installing them with --excludedocs anyway.

> Frankly, it seems all the kvetching here is 'yelp is bloated
> because it pulls in firefox'. Which is completely orthogonal
> to the packaging of help - if the viewer is a pig, fix the viewer,
> don't remove all the apps.

Then why not just drop the few explicit dependencies on
yelp so it can be uninstalled?  It could still be listed
as a default install in comps.

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti
 \X/  http://www.codewiz.org/