To Require yelp or not to require yelp

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Tue Jun 12 13:03:56 UTC 2007

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 00:27:53 -0400, Bernardo Innocenti scripst:
> -1.  What desktop should the geeks be using then?

The real ones something like ratpoison or even dwm (http://
www.suckless.org/wiki/dwm -- "Because dwm is customized through editing
its source code, it's pointless to make binary packages of it. This keeps
its userbase small and elitist. No novices asking stupid questions.";
from people who brought us IRC client faithfully following Unix idea to
its very end -- http://www.suckless.org/wiki/tools/irc).

Those who are not real hacker, but they faking it, will probably use KDE.

> The serious argument is: something is "optional" when it is not strictly
> required by the application to provide its core functionality.

Yes, and the bigger problem of rpm-based systems is that they don't have
a good way how to distinguish between which is strictly required (because
without glibc the program just won't start) and the ones which "optional"
in your sense of the world (which is Recommended: in Debian-speak), or
even those which would be nice to have (like apache log analyzer for
apache; i.e., Suggest: in dpkg world).

> So, online help is *clearly* an optional desktop feature.  People using
> systems with limited disk space, like the OLPC users, will want to
> remove it.

Will they? No, I mean, I am quite surprised that OLPC would have no help
-- I thought that it is targeted towards very end users (which may not
read, true).

Best,

Matej