Fedora Rel-Eng Meeting Recap 2007-JUN-11

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Tue Jun 12 14:13:49 UTC 2007

Recap and full IRC transcript found here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/Meetings/2007-jun-11

Please make corrections and clarifications to the wiki page.

== Buildroot contents for updates ==
  * The buildroot used for fedora 7 updates building is not self
updating.  It only contains things from f7-gold, and stable released
updates.  This means that one update candidate cannot be built against
another update candidate without rel-eng interaction. We haven't been
very vocal about this yet, and it isn't documented anywhere.
  * Do we want to adjust things or leave them be?
  * See IRC log for discussion points
Decision: Talk to lmacken about modifying Bodhi to do a sanity check on
published buildroot contents before allowing an update be pushed. After
that we will make the dist-fc7-build buildroot auto-update with
-candidate builds and see what happens.

== Expand Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) ==
  * f13
    * rel-eng has more and more people helping out so we want to make
sure that things are well documented
    * Infrastructure team started doing SOP/ pages (Standard Operating
Procedure) and they are proving very useful. I'd like to start doing
them for Release Engineering too
    * thinking of ReleaseEngineering/SOP/<task> as the layout, the SOP
page itself could be a list of pages and info on how to add an SOP
    * Proposal: As a release engineer, as you do tasks for Fedora, check
to see if there is an SOP/<task> page.  If there isn't, create one and
poke rel-eng folks for review.
    * This is more of a mandate than a vote item.

== Early Torrent Release - Rahul Sundaram ==
  * explore possibility of doing early torrent releases.
  * See IRC log for discussion of pros and cons and affect on mirrors
Decision: Investigate with Infrastructure team ways of getting more
mirrors to participate in seeding the torrent (early?).  Do not release
torrent to general public before the agreed upon coordinated release
date/time.

== Upgrade path enforcement - Rahul Sundaram ==
  * Discussion surrounding policy that upgrade path should not break
from a particular point on, for example, after Test1 or Test2--enforced
by Release Engineering.
  * See IRC log for discussion details
Decision: Recommend to FESCo policy that upgrade path never be
compromised either by removing builds or NEVR regressions.  File RFE in
Koji to enforce rule at build time