R500 initial driver release

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Jun 14 22:31:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 16:25 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> Once we actually have this working on at least one piece of kit out of
> the box I'll get it imported.

Tried this on my MacbookPro1,1 (about a year old) with X1600/M56P using
Bootcamp. The vesa driver works fine on this box although not in the
native resolution

 - Using 'system-config-display --reconfig --noui --set-driver avivo
   --set-depth 24 --set-resolution=1440x900'

 - Had to reboot to get it to work; it consistently locked-up if I tried
   it after using fglrx

 - X.org output here; in hope it's useful
   http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/avivo-xorg.log

 - Performance is bad; I didn't try alexl's ShadowFB patch though.

 - VT switching either causes X server restart or locks up the box

 - The screen is flickering; it's especially visible with dark colors;
   some timing / modeline issue?

 - On the positive side, apart from the driver actually working, it
   seems that the artifacts in fglrx (and, fwiw, the ATI Windows drivers
   as well - I have Win XP and OS X on the box too) have been fixed.
   The artifact, in a nutshell, is that even though you have a solid
   color in your framebuffer it comes out on the LCD with an overlay of
   noise in the luminance channel (brings back memories from the Amiga's
   half-brite mode). Compare yourself

   flgrx: http://flickr.com/photos/davidz/549360382/
   avivo: http://flickr.com/photos/davidz/549360762/

Thanks,