guideline-isms leading to dependency bloats (was: fedora-logos dependencies in F7)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Jun 15 10:38:10 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 03:52:54PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:

> >>See the archives of this list. This has been discussed extensively.
> >
> >Pointer or summary? Thanks!
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-June/msg00595.html

Argh!

"but since it drops files into application directories, fedora-logos
 itself requires many things so that there are no unowned directories
 or so that the right application owns it's directories.  This is
 perhaps one case where we can forgo the policy on directory ownership"

Drop the policy for fedora-logos or make fedora-logos co-own the
directories.

We can't allow blind guideline-ism to create such awkward situations
where simply booting the system requires gtk!

Alternatively fedora-logos could split off the
/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz in a subpackage (still the same src.rpm) and
grub would only require that.

Please decide on what is better, if you want the FPC to exempt
fedora-logos I'll bring it up there. But maybe the subpackage split is
preferred.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net