Official presto repositories for Rawhide

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 15:04:19 UTC 2007

> Is there a usable tool for creating presto repos yet?  Something to automate?
> What is the impact on mirrors?

Yes there is.  See
http://www.lesbg.com/jdieter/presto/createprestorepo-0.1.0.tar.bz2 .  To
summarize, there are two binaries to run: makedeltarepo <path to repo>
<path to deltarpms for repo> to generate the deltarpms and then
createprestorepo <path to repo> to generate the metadata.

The tools probably need a bit of tweaking and I'm happy to do it if I'm
told what to tweak.

The only impact on mirrors is having to store more data (the deltarpms),
though they should see less bandwidth used (as people download the
deltas rather than the full rpms).  We can also choose how much space to
dedicate to the deltarpms by limiting how far back we make new deltas
for.  On the test server (before our web hosting provider wiped all the
rpms and deltarpms), I think we went up to 1 GB for FC6 i386 updates
+extras and that was making deltarpms for *all* intermediate rpms.

Jonathan