Root filesystem encryption update

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jun 18 20:51:55 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 14:07 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 12:55:31 -0400,
>   Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Is this where I chime in with something about keymaps and locales again?
> > I'm thinking probably so... ;-)
>
> That is certainly a problem. But for some people running encryption through
> a block device that respects things such as write barriers, is going to be
> more attractive than some of the other solutions.

As an English speaker, sure.  What if you only speak Japanese?  If we're
only solving the problem for those that speak English, then (and
apologies for shouting...) WE'RE NOT SOLVING THE PROBLEM.  People use
Fedora world-wide and we need to actually have our features work within
that context.

> Heck, for key maps there probably aren't so many that you can't try multiple
> possibilities after getting the password.

There are at least 30-40 that we allow in the installer alone at the
console.  find -type f /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386 | wc -l gives around 140.
I don't think that trying either is really that practical.

> The password prompts being in the
> wrong locale, might look ugly, but should be servicable.

Not for use within some countries... that's why translations are a big
deal

> People using the
> grub menu have to deal with that now as far as I know.

The goal is that you never _see_ the grub menu.  Also, one of the things
that's being worked on with grub2 is the infrastructure to have some
support for i18n/l10n.  We really shouldn't be adding new things that
don't take it into account.  Especially if they're going to be highly
visible new features.

Jeremy