FESCo elections

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 17:00:04 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 10:16 -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> Brian Pepple wrote:

> >> It's not too close to the elections to change this detail in this
> >> direction.  Too close to restrict the pool of contenders, but not too
> >> close to expand it.
> >>
> >> +1 to FESCo candidates being anyone with an FAS account.
> >
> > +1  to allowing more folks be eligible for FESCo, though I'm not sure if
> > anyone with a FAS account is the right criteria.
>
> I think it's a good enough criteria.  If there's somebody involved that
> doesn't have an account and wants to be elected, getting an account
> isn't a very high bar.  If there's somebody *not* involved who wants to
> be elected, getting an account isn't going to change the fact that none
> of us recognize them.  Sure, it's arbitrary, but it's not terrible.

One point -- currently, the eligible voters and the candidate pool
coincide.  I'm assuming that we are talking about keeping that aspect
the same (rather than letting anyone with a CLA_done be a candidate
while only cvsextras can vote.)  When the policy was ratified by FESCo,
this was a point that was debated and can be found in the Meeting
Archives [1]_.

With that in mind I think Brian Pepple's list of FESCo responsibilities
[2]_ is a good starting place as it lists the areas of Fedora that FESCo
has direct control over.  Other areas FESCo may influence but they do
not have responsibility for or control.

Basically, you should be able to vote if you are under FESCo's
authority.  You should not be able to vote if you are not.

[1]_:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SteeringCommittee/Meeting-20060824

[2]_:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-June/msg02136.html