Fedora 8 internet keys support detailed plan + patches

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Fri Jun 22 11:30:24 UTC 2007

Relax everyone!

This topic is too complicated that any of us has a chance of knowing all
problems yet.

All efforts that make sure that hardware key presses are mapped to the right
kernel keycodes are highly appreciated (laptops, PS/2 keyboards, USB
keyboards). Btw I have written some scripts to convert keyboard setting from
various sources into setkeycodes scripts (or anything else) including
hotkey-setup, lineak, keytouch. They are currently checked into the
hotkey-setup repository: https://developer.berlios.de/projects/hotkey-setup/
http://svn.berlios.de/wsvn/hotkey-setup/trunk/tools/?rev=0&sc=0

If this works the linux kernel will only show one kind of keyboard to both
console and X11. And it doesn't matter much if this is called the linux or
the Microsoft keyboard.

As Nicolas already stated the AT keyboard emulation as used by the X11 kbd
driver (setting the console to raw mode) has a limitation to 240 keys.

Problem here is that the linux kernel has a lot of key codes that are out of
range (see linux/input.h 0x160 up). These cannot mapped consistently into
the 240 key range of the emulation. Because of this X11 has to switch to the
evdev driver in the long run. Any work in this direction is appreciated.
Nevertheless this might not be the right step for F8 as evdev wasn't in good
shape when I looked at it 7 months ago.

Things are even worse as on the X11 side there are no Xkeysyms to map lots
of the kernel keysyms to. I put together a list half a year ago. They can be
found at the bottom of http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Laptop/HotKeys.
Don't give too much an the other text on the page.

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Right now the old way of sending X-keysyms is so full of quirks and
> warts  I really don't hink minimal effort would be to try to fix it.
Patching the xkbd map shouldn't be too much effort for the time until we
switched really everything to the evdev driver.

 > Note: Stanislav Brabec who created /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/inet is
 > currently working on an xkb patch which will create a virtual linux
 > keyboard model.

Have you any pointers? I have the model already finished (mostly)...

Florian Festi