Parallel Booting

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Fri Jun 22 15:18:54 UTC 2007

Hello,

some of you may have read some wiki pages about the plans for the new init system [1]. As a first step in
this direction [2], I packaged prcsys from Mandriva, patched initscripts with a very small patch, and uploaded
the src.rpm to [3]. To enable parallel booting just build and install both packages and edit
/etc/sysconfig/init. Set PARALLEL_STARTUP=yes and there we go.

The next step would be to modify all initscripts in /etc/init.d to be LSB compliant [4]. This will speed up
booting, because they can and will be started in parallel. You should file bugzillas against the component, to
which this initscript belongs, with a patch (this has to be done anyway to be LSB compliant in regards to
initscripts over time). Especially the exit codes need to be fixed (which will make status queries a lot
easier and more robust).

Early login [5] is also a next step towards a "fast boot" user experience.

Alternatives to SysVInit (like upstart/initng) can live in Fedora as well, but we are very conservative in
changing the startup mechanism that proved to function for a long time now. Unless the "real" killer feature
is absolutly needed, we would like to keep backwards compatibility as long as possible.

I hope many of you try and test [3] and write patches to improve our service initscripts to be LSB compliant
:-) Parallel booting is the reward.

Happy testing,
Harald

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FCNewInit