Fedora Rel-Eng Meeting Recap 2007-JUN-11

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Sat Jun 23 02:05:07 UTC 2007

tir, 12 06 2007 kl. 15:07 -0400, skrev Jesse Keating:
> On Tuesday 12 June 2007 14:59:04 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > We have end users wondering why we are holding back on the release after
> > the images are ready instead of making it available on the bittorrent
>
> Quite simply because a release date is a release date.  We set a coordinated
> release date for /many/ reasons.  Just because one method of distribution is
> ready before others is _not_ a reason to fracture your release process.  If
> it really makes you feel better, I'll delay getting the torrents ready until
> just before the coordinated release date.

You'll still be faced with the problem that there is always one mirror
that forgets to set the permission bits right which leads to users
bittorrenting this on their own.

We get the choice between issuing the torrent ourselves and thus
hopefully avoid overloading said mirror. Provided we don't users will
continue overloading mirrors and providing unofficial torrents thus
sucking up remote bandwidth anyways.

I think the important thing to note here is that there is a large
community of people who cannot wait for a new release, they pride
themselves in finding that one mirror that's open before time and
distributing as many copies as they can before we do the official
release. I think we should pride ourselves a little in this being a
problem at all, users want the release so much they are willing to
suffer the risk of unofficial torrents or dogslow overnight downloads
from a misconfigured mirror.. that's love people.

- David Nielsen