rawhide report: 20070623 changes

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sat Jun 23 16:26:30 UTC 2007

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Build System <buildsys <at> redhat.com> writes:
>> gentoo-0.11.56-3
>> ----------------
>> * Fri Jun 22 2007 Matthias Saou <http://freshrpms.net/> 0.11.56-3
>> - Use DESTDIR install method.
>> - Remove "fedora" prefix and useless category from desktop file.
>
> Huh?
> * Does this mean this now has no vendor? The guidelines say that
> there should be a valid vendor and "fedora" should be used if
> upstream doesn't use one.
> * I just got lectured about how bad it is to change the name of an
> existing .desktop file due to menu editing when I tried doing that
> on xchat (to add "--vendor fedora", not to remove it)... That's also
> mentioned in the guidelines.

I had a reviewer tell me repeatedly that I needed to remove the vendor
arg from desktop-file-install for one of my packages, despite my
quoting the clear guidelines over and over.

I think the reviewer was confused about another guidelines section
which admonishes use of the Vendor: header in the spec file.  Perhaps
that confusion has spread?  :)

To urge more gentlemen to go into politics was the same as arguing
that the cure for prostitution was to send more virgins into brothels.
    -- H.L. Mencken