KDE suggestions for Fedora 8 and beyond

ne... guhvies at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 23:55:46 UTC 2007

On 6/23/07, Christopher David Desjardins <cddesjardins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi I'd like to throw a couple of my thoughts about KDE in Fedora and how it
> could be improved.
>
> 1.  QT-Frontend for YUM
>         There are lots of good GTK frontends for yum (pirut, yumex) but there aren't
> really any good QT frontends for yum.  There is kyum but it's certainly
> lacking in comparison to yumex.  I think a QT version of yumex could be real
> nice and it could cut down on GTK dependencies in KDE, maybe?  Another
> suggestions would be to port Adept from Kubuntu or Debian.
You need to code that and submit it.

> 2.  KDE Update Notifier
>         Maybe a frontend for pup in QT or adept-updater?
See remark above.

> 3.  Selecting KDE meta-package on the dvd brings in KDE only apps (except
> maybe GIMP and Firefox).
Neither GIMP nor Firefox are KDE apps. They will need to be brought it
seperately. Personally, I use neither on Linux. Konqui does the job
for me.

>         I noticed when I selected KDE and deselected GNOME that it still wanted to
> install rhythmbox, soundjuicer, totem, pidgin, and other GNOME apps.  This is
> not only adding to bloat from a KDE users stand point but it's also a bit
> annoying.  I am sure GNOME users don't want a lot of KDE apps stinking of
> their desktops unless they select them.
Amen, brotha, preach on. Tell them like it should be. I am personally
sick of having to unselect all the gnome stuff and then forcefully
remove them via 'rpm -e --nodeps'. I want a pure KDE desktop, not a
hybrid one.

> 4.  Nice windeco and style
>         The inclusion of KDE4 and oxygen might obsolete this thought.
>
> 5.  A KDE irc channel
>         Something like #fedora-kde on irc.freenode.net would be a nice place for
> those interested in KDE to discuss KDE on fedora, packaging, KDE4, and other
> related issues.  This would not be for support and this would of course be
> specified in the topic.  This could provide a place for the KDE developers
> and those interested in packaging, art, and helping out to discuss relevant
> issues.  I know that opensuse, debian, and kubuntu all have channels similar
> to this.
Not sure whether this had already been done in the past. Still, I've
stopped doing irc, so I am not sure whether I would hang out there.

ne...
Certified: 75% bastard, 42% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Now accepting personal mail for GMail invites.