FESCo elections

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Jun 24 00:14:49 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 10:00 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Basically, you should be able to vote if you are under FESCo's
> authority.  You should not be able to vote if you are not.

The problem I have with this is that FESCo, unlike all bodies save the
Board, makes decisions that affect the entire project.

I think "affects" should be the criteria, not "authority."

Probably what is bugging me the most about this is that I want to be
able to vote for FESCo members.  Not only that, but in the last FDSCo
elections, I wanted the pool of eligible voters to be all of FAS.

I cannot think of a single good reason to divide Fedora contributors
into voting pools, but I can think of lots of good reasons we should be
able to vote across sub-project steering committees.

All of the talk about political v. technical are spurious.  This is not
a government, we are not a physical nation.  Decisions that affect all
of us are a split of technical, social, community, etc.

Why cling to preconceived notions of how a "democracy" works?  Look at
ancient Athens, the "first democracry" -- as long as you were a free man
and the eldest son of a property owning family.[1]  We actually are free
to reinvent the notion ourselves.

- Karsten
[1]   At least they, unlike the US Congress, actually had to go fight
the wars they voted to have.

--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project