user created at install added in sudoers ?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 06:43:22 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 15:40 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 11:34:58PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Documentation mentions su -c "command" all over the place. You have to
> > consider whether you want to mention sudo or su or both if this is made
> > a option. Dismissing concerns as poor without being involved is pretty
> > easy. Documentation is far from the only concern with adding more options.
>
> We could easily set up the sudoers file like this:
>
>   a) for wheel-group members, auth-as-self.
>   b) for non-wheel-group-members, sudo prompts for the *root* password.
>
> Then, 'su -c "command"' could be replaced with "sudo command" in the
> documentation and would be correct in both cases. And since sudo has several
> advantages over 'su -c', this is a win-win.

We specifically settled on 'su -c' because we couldn't count on the
existence of a properly configured sudoers file.  We even have a simple
sudo how-to that we were going to put in front as a "requirement", but
the chance that someone is dropping in to a document via Google is too
great to have any kind of enforceable requirements.

If there were a reliable sudo situation, I doubt there would be any
objection to adjusting the docs to use the superior method.

- Karsten, NOPASSWD: ALL
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project