FESCo elections

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 20:16:45 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 14:11 -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Karsten Wade wrote:
> > I propose we include the entirety of cla_done, but announce an age limit
> > on the account -- it must be older than one week.  This gives people a
> > chance to get an account for the election (since voting lasts longer
> > than a week) while leaving enough time for us to notice any
> > pranks/gaming of the system.
>
> Let's hope the folks at ${anti-linux-company} won't see this as an
> opportunity to have all their folks sign CLAs and rig future elections.

I think the short-term risk is worth it, compared to disenfranchising
hundreds.

Highly agree with the security concerns; my proposal[1] is one-time
only, and we need to immediately decide what is the magical meaning of
contributor, how do we measure it, and use that forevermore.

Right now, there are people making a *ton* of contributions on
fedora-list, maybe they have an FAS account for future usage or would be
encouraged to get one because of open elections.  Just because we
haven't found a way to count those folks for grant of a franchise
doesn't mean they should get shorted.

Best to lower the barrier as far as we can, one time, and then raise it
in a proper, clear, documented, well-known way, forevermore.

- Karsten
[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KarstenWade/FranchisementGrantProposals#head-64c24e995a46b9a520094255db89b5fba2645dd3
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project