New rpm version about to hit rawhide

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Jun 26 08:11:50 UTC 2007

Panu Matilainen wrote:

> Expect memory use go up, dramatically. That's the price to pay for
> finally "fixing" the multilib %doc etc file removal bug by nuking
> the nasty skipDir hack that caused it to begin with. Whether we can
> actually live with the ballooned memory usage, especially in the
> installer, remains to be seen...

Of the two issues, surely memory use is the worst?  I installed F7 on my
in-laws' old laptop with 256MB last week, it did install okay because I
took the precaution of turning everything except the most basic stuff
off (including X), then yumming it in afterwards.  Previously I upgraded
FC5 on a 384MB box and it took most of the day.  Are the "dramatic"
increases only seen in the multilib case itself?  That wouldn't be so
bad since x86_64 boxes will have lots of memory...

-Andy