portage vs yum

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Wed Jun 27 19:29:40 UTC 2007

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Oh, I didn't know about that tool. But why do you have to do that by hand? It
> should be automatic. Yum or apt won't update a library without also updating
> the applications which depend on it to versions built against the correct
> library.

IIRC, whereas Yum and other binary-based systems such as APT track literal
libraries (e.g., "libfoo.so.42(ABI_TAG)"), Portage only tracks per-package
dependencies; so when you update one package it still notes that you have
the dependent package installed. (I'm not too familiar with Portage internals
though; so I could very well be completely pulling this out of my butt. ^_^)

> I don't know why I couldn't remember the specific term, I knew it of
> course. :-) But ebuilds, specfiles etc. are all "recipes". ;-)

Technicalities of word choice - nothing more. :)
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
This message was sent through a webmail