portage vs yum

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Wed Jun 27 21:59:30 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 09:21:11PM +0000, Thufir wrote:

> If a portage type system can uninstall well, and I believe that to be the
> case, that seals it for me.  The advantages of a portage type system are
> greater than those of a yum type system.

I think I can't disagree more.

> Sabayon may have screwed things up, but a system which compiles most
> things from source in a portage type way, with a few exceptions which are
> time intensive, would be easier to maintain and thus larger.  Open
> Office, the kernel, things like that could be prebuilt.

Easier to maintain, for whom?  The package/distro builders?
Certainly not for an average end-user.

Reading opinions like these, I have the impression that most people
only think of individual, hacker-type users, not about, say, system
administrators maintaining large networks of systems, having to
support those systems (and users) easily, etc.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>